Monday, February 4, 2008

Pattaya

This last weekend, we didn't know what to do. There were friends of ours who were going to Chang Mai, Ko Phi Phi, and Ko Samui, but they all are far away places that I think should be visited for more than a weekend. So we decided to go to Pattaya because it's only a couple hours away. I didn't know much about Pattaya other than it is a very touristy vacation spot. In fact, I didn't feel like I was in Thailand at all. Everything catered to Americans and Europeans– there wasn't even any Thai script written anywhere. Upon arriving there, I found out that Pattaya is also the sex capital of the world. It's home to numerous go go bars, strip clubs, and beer bars. There are a large number of gay bars and lady-boy bars as well.

When we first got there, we got on a boat and took off for an island. The crowd I was with was made up of people who were getting their scuba diving certifications and those who were there to just snorkel around the rocks and reefs. I was apart of the snorkeling crew, but I can tell you that there is no chance that I won't get my diving license very soon. There are so many good diving spots and it's so inexpensive. It's just a matter of time before I do it.

The snorkeling was fun– more sea urchins (the black spiky creatures) and fish. This time, the snorkeling was done in more shallow water so avoiding the spiky ones was a bit of a challenge. When we got back to Pattaya, we drove to a nice restaurant that's twenty minutes away. (It took two hours to get there though because we got lost numerous times– one time in a steel factory.) After dinner, everyone wanted to go out, so we rinsed off and went to Walking Street. (Walking Street is the main part of the nightlife in Pattaya.)

My friends Jake and Alex and I broke away from the large group and started walking the street. We came across a bar that had a boxing ring, so we decided we'd watch a Muay Thai fight with some beer. I wanted to make it interesting so I offered Jake and Alex a bet that the red guy would win. They were quick to accept my bet because the blue guy looked younger and in better shape. My rationale for making the offer was that the bar would have the red guy win because he's older and has been around longer than the blue guy. I was right in that the fight was decided before it started, but wrong in thinking the red guy would win. The blue guy won and I lost 120 baht. Oh well. After this, we walked around, going in and out of various bars and clubs, before coming across the first hotel we saw that offered a room for 450 baht, (split among three people).

The next day, Jake and Alex and I ate breakfast. (So far, since I've been in Thailand, I've avoided going to the many KFC's and McDonald's that are here. But since I felt like I was in America in Pattaya, I went ahead and ate some American food, including an American breakfast, McDonald's, and Burger King all in the same day.) After breakfast, we went bungee jumping! When we got to the place, the crane didn't look that tall. But then when you're in the cage being taken up, halfway up, you realize that you've made a huge mistake. The bungee guy said that I needed to walk to the edge and that he would then count to three and that is when I should jump. (My heart is racing with just typing about it.) He counted to three, I looked down, and then I dove off. It was so exhilarating that I want to do it again, from an even higher height. I was given a "certificate of courage" that acknowledges my courageous jump. After this, we walked around more before heading home. Once again, the drive home felt like I was on a rollercoaster. The driver was weaving in and out of traffic. When sedans would break for bumps in the road, our minibus would speed up to pass and proceed to launch in the air. I really wasn't that surprised about it though. This is Thailand. (TIT)

3 comments:

mike said...

sounds like a crazy time...those fixed muay thai fights are still pretty fun to watch though...too bad you guys didn't get drunk enough to get in..
definitely check out chaing mai on your next journey...definitely the coolest place i went in thailand...keep up the posts

Unknown said...

I lol'd at TIT. I thought there was going to be more to Walking Street, but maybe you have some more inside stories when you get back ahaha

Mat Aron said...

i'll definitely be going to chaing mai, probably for the thai new year in april. i would like to go for a week.

yeah, i do have more stories.